Highlights from a visit to the Yale Art Gallery on a lazy Saturday afternoon.
I loved everything, but the surreal Tu m’ and La boite de pandore resonated in my imagination. Rene Magritte’s La boite de pandore (Pandora’s Box) feels like the beginning of a beautiful nightmare, a mystery that can never be solved. Marcel Duchamp’s Tu m’ is a stunning work that is a reminder that even realism is an illusion. If you’re ever in the New Haven area, you should take the time to see them in person – the image below doesn’t capture its scope.
- Marcel Duchamp – Tu m’
- Max Ernst – Papillons
- Max Ernst – Paris Reve
- Max Beckmann – Abend auf der Terrasse
- Oskar Kokoschka – View of the Thames from the Vickers Building, Millbank
- Rene Magritte – La boite de pandore (Pandora’s Box)
- Pablo Picasso – Dog and Cock
- Jean Metzinger – Nature Morte
- Fernand Leger – Composition VII
- Auguste Lepere – La Rue Galande